AUTHOR OF THE WEEK - DAY TWO.

Yesterday I wrote about the novel which drew on my university career. Today I highlight the two novels which were released together in 2016 by Crooked Cat publishers. Each of these drew heavily on my Jewish heritage, my home city of Birmingham and my inner angst over what happened during the Holocaust.  I wanted to show, first, what life was like for Jewish people in the years before WWII, and then the secret world of the Vichy government in 1942 France.

LAMPLIGHT. Spanning the years from 1912 to 1938, David Klein is 18 when he runs away from the poverty of his orthodox home for the bright lights of NY. From the terror of a near-drowning at sea, the story moves between NY, Birmingham and Breslau, where he lives through the burgeoning terror of Nazi Germany in 1938
VICHYSSOISE. Set in 1942, David Klein is on a mission to find a missing triple spy in SW France. Set against the historical, true background of Vichy France, the story shows an explosive Adolf Hitler and an irascible Winston Churchill, culminating in Pétain’s nail-biting trial for treason.

Whilst writing Vichyssoise, I was living in the tiny village of Varen, where I had volunteered to man the tourist office/bibliotheque. This proved very useful as I was afforded the opportunity to do research from original French texts about Pétain.  In 2017, I was delighted to welcome my publishers in person, chez-nous, and guess what I prepared for lunch?  Vichyssoise soup a la maison!

You can read the second editions of both books here. mybook.to/lamplight. mybook.to/vichyssoise


No comments: