9th October 2008

Today is a significant day for many people around the world. It is a time to reflect on the past year, its joys and sorrows, and vow to improve onself in the year to come. I've always considered it a good idea, once a year, to think about your life and how it's panned out. Whether you choose today, Xmas day, 1st January, Ramadan....whatever....is immaterial. We all need time to stand and stare. Of course, some people reading this may be atheist or agnostic. There have been several high-profile cases in the news recently whereby France has proved itself to be a secular, rather than a religious state, bravely insisting on no public displays of religious identity in order to prevent 'tribal' warfare on the streets. Many would say this is the most intelligent national global policy ever. Time will tell. But for me, time is the essence. As I grow older I realise that I dwell more and more on the past. Growing up in the austerity of post-war Britain with its rations and deprivation, life was grim. I was poorly fed, chronically insecure and miserable for long periods of time, so why do I look back? Once you reach 60, the future becomes less enchanting and the past is at least safe. Above all, I realise that life is precious. It's all we have so grab its essence before 'nightfall'. There may still be originality inside us that has not yet been unpacked. As I look outside my office window, the sun is rising in sparkling clarity above the golds, russets and browns of the distant hills and I breathe in deeply. I love la qualite de la lumiere here that so inspired Degas and Monet. I'm no 'still life' painting just yet.

No comments: