30th October 2008

French Health minister Roselyne Bachelot says she wants to reform the 1991 Evin law that regulates alcohol abuse. Dating from a time before the internet, it doesn't allow for promotion on the web - but now that's all changed apparently. For me personally, alcohol means just one thing: French wine. In cafes and bars over here it's usually served in small (petit) and large (ballon) sizes for around 1 - 2 euros and can also be ordered in a quarter-litre (25cl) or half-litre pitcher (pichet) for around 3 and 5 euros respectively. You usually order simply red (rouge), pink (rose) or white (blanc). But don't do as Him indoors always threatens 'I'll have it mixed!'. At home when I'm cooking for the two of us, I do something I would never have done in the U.K. Instead of using cooking oil, I use wine - lots of it. At the local Intermarche supermarket I buy 2 litre plastic bottles of vin rouge (just for cooking with) for 1.50 euros and use it liberally on everything, but especially chicken and rice dishes. It tastes superb, is cheap and I'm sure is healthier. But afterwards, I must remember not to drive! Another thing I use here is milk. It's great for basting scallop potatoes and garlic in the oven. I use a pastry brush and brush each slice with ordinary milk and then dust with black pepper before putting in the oven. Again, I avoid using oil in a desperate attempt to cut down my weight. Not sure if that works, but what milk does do is leave a crispy, tasty coating on the potatoes and garlic - which gives extra flavour to, say, bland fish dishes. Of course, the best wine of all is champagne - always great for celebrations, but at around 12 euros for a large bottle over here it's not too dear to cheer you up when the world gets you down. Cheap at half the price. Keep smiling and enjoy your life.

No comments: