3rd March 2013

A new credit-card style driving licence has been issued across Europe, but delayed in France until September.  Foolishly I already thought I had an 'international' driving licence but now realise I've got what they call a 'photocard UK driving licence'. Mine has been very useful in France as it's credit-card size, has my photo on (somewhat airbrushed compared to what I look like today!) - which has served me well as ID in several places - and fits in my purse.  However, it was originally issued by the DVLA in the UK embossed with our old UK address, but the DVLA won't update it to a French address. So, when visiting the UK and the police stop us and say it's mandatory to have an updated address on all licences, we have to tell them there's nothing we can do whilst they drag us to the nearest police station!  And, I now notice there's an expiry date: 2015. What to do in 2 years' time? Living in France, I can't apply for a new UK one. Current French licences are valid for life, but the new French licence in September is only valid for 15 years - and we both dread having to take a French driving test or even take a sight test! So, calculating swiftly, I think I'd better swap my current photo-card licence for a French one before September whilst it's still valid for a lifetime. All this is driving me mad........

1 comment:

SueC said...

Hi Gill - interesting - has got me thinking what to do ( my English licence is valid til 2020 but it does seem silly to have an English one here