16th September 2008

Every so often we get invited to a congenial party at the home of one of our English friends. On Saturday we went along for a buffet lunch at the home of R..., who was celebrating his 70+ birthday. His home is situated along the banks of the river Aveyron, yards away from the ancient watermill at Le Moulin restaurant. What is always interesting for me is the mix of English and French guests and their different take on life here. Some of the guests were Londoners, over here for just a few days to enjoy the party and sample the delights of the area. We got to chatting about the differences between the two ways of life. 'What brought you here?' is a frequent question. My usual response is to rail against an England which has too many people and too many cars. 'Ah,' would be the quick retort, 'but for me, I couldn't live without all the facilities of London....the restaurants, the theatres, the family, friends etc.' So, what is the answer? As always, everyone has to make a choice on how to live their lives. Each of us is different, with different circumstances with which to contend. All I can say is that for us, at this point in our lives, nothing beats the respect shown by the local French to everyone, even by the smallest children. It takes me back to that post-war English idyll of my childhood, where children would play safely outside the whole day and respected those in authority. But more than that, what really lifts my spirits is la qualitie de la lumiere and the golden sunshine - free at the point of delivery. I can only stand and stare.

No comments: