30th April 2023

 I am the same age as the State of Israel and the NHS. Last Wednesday, the former celebrated Yom Haatzmaut, Israeli Independence Day. In the ancient land of Canaan, ca 1200 BCE, each of the 12 Israelite tribes settled a different region on either side of the Jordan river. All but 2 tribes were expulsed.  This week independence day celebrations took place across Israel. On Mount Herzl, 12 candles were lit, symbolising the 12 tribes of Israel by 12 citizens.  As far as the NHS is concerned, on 5th July the NHS will mark its 75th by “showcasing the best of its achievements”.  The current NHS strife is caused by two main things: i) an over-large population, which is living longer, coupled with ever-increasing, expensive drugs and technology - meaning that Bevan’s wonderful 1948 idea can no longer cope alongside outdated systems and management; and ii) the shutting-down of the country 2+ years ago, creating such economic mayhem and inflation that unions think it can all be fixed by enormous pay rises. And me?  How did I celebrate my significant birthday a few months ago?  Not at all. I was ill. No cards/presents and I sat at home. 

No comments: