13th March 2022

Fifty years ago my dear mother (o.s.) passed away. Her condition in 1972 was undiagnosed, as my family never went to the doctor’s:  “if you go into hospital, you never come out.”  Unfortunately, this proved true.  For my poor mother, by the time her symptoms became too severe to be ignored any longer, it was too late. What is pertinent to me, today, as the last remaining member of that generation, is that all my family died, too young, from different forms of cancer.  For years, therefore, I’ve wished that there was some way of detecting any type of cancer long before symptoms become apparent.  Last year, I was interested to read about a new NHS research study, which proposed to do just what I’ve been looking for.  It’s a research study called Galleri, involving volunteer members of the public aged 50 - 77.  Perfect for me. I contacted various health directors until I found the researchers I needed. After a long wait, yesterday a letter came in the post inviting me to take part. And, I don’t need to go far: in a few weeks I must present myself at an NHS mobile unit at my local supermarket and have a simple blood test. If my blood sample subsequently shows any early signs of cancer, I’ll be referred on and given early treatment. If only this had been available for my grandparents, parents and brothers. May they rest in peace.

No comments: