22nd August 2021

 Flaming August. Typical non-stop rain here. So, to cheer myself up, I wondered whether a hop over the pond was feasible, especially as our son’s due to have a big birthday next year. But first, I must check our passports. After reading several FB posts on the subject, I discovered that both our passports were already out of date. I knew about the 6 month rule but you actually have to ignore the expiry date - in our case April 2022 - and go by the issue date, which was December 2011! What’s the point of giving you an expiry date then? Good job I discovered all this in time. Imagine if we’d turned up at LHR, only to be sent away again. The good news, though, is that you can now renew a British passport entirely online, including the photos. However, it has to be a recent photo, without glasses, and for me no hiding behind gauze or taken in candlelight!  And every time you get it wrong, the system tells you ‘horrible, do it again.’  But I didn’t look any better after 10 attempts.  Ah, the traumas of being an older woman. Him indoors, though, had his accepted first time. Typical. And then came the cost. Once you add in the price of secure delivery, it came to a horrifying £80 each!  Sorry son. It might have to be Margate next year instead….

No comments: