13th June 2021

 Human greatness does not lie in wealth and power, but in character and goodness. Ann Frank, aged 13.

I wonder whether Angela Merkel, on arrival at the G7 in Cornwall this weekend, congratulated the Queen on her birthday? Probably. But, did Angela commemorate the birthday of one of her own citizens 92 years ago - Ann Frank, a young girl from Frankfurt brutally murdered by her own country? Probably not. I wonder also whether Angela will be applauding her team at the Euros as they ‘take the knee’? Probably. Yet, will she understand that it’s not just one group of people who are being subjected to global racism but many others too, some who have been persecuted for 3000 years? As a writer, I kept waiting for someone to highlight the unfairness suffered massively by the latter group. Eventually I thought, well, if no-one else, maybe I should do it myself.  So, my newly-completed novel - set in historic Israel from the year 1500 BCE through to the present day - is now finished. Irrespective of any future success, I doubt if Merkel or anyone else will be taking the knee on my behalf somehow! 

No comments: