2nd September 2018

If I’d written that in a few months time all British customers living in the EU look like losing lending, deposit and insurance access to their own UK bank accounts, you’d think I was writing a new Orwellian fantasy. But I kid you not. The look on the face of new Brexit Minister Dominic Raab says it all really as he scratches his head and contemplates a ‘no deal’ agreement with the increasingly inflexible Barnier. It also looks like curtains for poor old Gibraltar. Brits there should start arming themselves against an increasingly hostile Spain, who historically always claimed ownership. And here, the UK papers headline aggressive ‘be prepared’ notices to one and all.  I almost expect posters going up in every suburb, complete with Lord Kitchener image and accusing finger, shouting “your country needs you”.  Next I expect posters of a woman wearing utility clothes urging us all to dig for victory. And here at chez-nous? Already I have a crate into which each week I stockpile essential foodstuffs for the oncoming armageddon. With my history, I have to be prepared.

No comments: