11th December 2022

A bad week (but nothing to do with the football.) Last Sunday I woke up to find the left side of my face had dropped - a year since last time but on other side. GP surgery was of course shut with no apparent emergency doctor available. The website said go to our local emergency walk in centre, but it was shut. A notice on the door said it was no longer a walk in emergency centre but to call a doctor. I rang the number only to hear a recorded message. So in the cold, I rang 111. After an hour on hold I gave up and we drove to A and E. After a wait, the treatment was great. Eventually I had an ECG, a CT scan, blood pressure test, whole body muscle strength tests etc to rule out a stroke, 4 different drugs to take home. Cost to me: nil. It’s clear the NHS needs root and branch reform. I was born before the NHS and in 1948 the system was a brilliant idea but today too many people plus expensive state of the art tech and drugs means it’s no longer affordable. So recommend the French subsidised  model, state pays 70%, state insurance for patients (not private) 30%, disabled/low paid pay nil. Meantime, NHS please note: French hospital doctors prescribe inpatient meals specific to your health condition. Wonderful idea. Would save NHS a lot of money eliminating food waste. French carte vitale card also good: gives first care providers/pharmacists instant electronic med history. So, this morning my face and mood are down.  Bell’s Palsy. Hope I improve soon.

No comments: