6th December 2020

 73 years ago today, when I was born, it was dark. My father was still away in the army so my mother had to bang on the wall to alert our neighbour for help. No NHS then.  But today is darker. Growing up, I had the Salk polio treatment on a sugar lump, but I wasn’t the first to take it so long term effects were well known. On Wednesday I’ll be near the top of the queue to be a guinea pig for the new Corona vaccine, where bat poison will be injected into my arm. Unlike the Salk treatment, no-one yet knows the long-term effects. Some say it might affect our individual DNA! I look outside. A dark hooded shape sidles past our window, face muffled, eyes downcast. I almost expect to see Boris at the end of our road, tolling a bell as he calls out ‘Bring out your dead’.  I shake my head and think of medical students. The first thing that’s drummed into them is ‘Do no harm’.  They, like me, will have to take everything on trust. Today is supposed to be a happy day but....

2 comments:

Teresa_Intrepid said...

I think you can relax about the DNA issue, at least. While it's true that this is a new vaccine and that's a bit of a concern, it won't change your DNA.

Another conspiracy idea doing the rounds a fair bit at the moment falsely claims that a new covid-19 vaccine will be designed to alter people's DNA. Some have claimed this would be done to create 'genetically modified human beings.'

There is *zero* evidence to back up these claims.

It is true that mRNA vaccines are being developed for the fight against covid-19 and these are a new type of vaccine.

But these vaccines *do not work by altering people's DNA*.

They work by introducing a molecule into the body which instructs cells to build a disease-specific antigen. This antigen is then recognised by the person's immune system which is then able to produce antibodies to fight off the real virus."

Olga Swan said...

Thank you Teresa for your comment.