26th July 2020

New rules everywhere regarding the wearing of masks. The other day I, fully masked, waited obediently in the pharmacy doorway for the customer in front of me to finish with the female assistant before entering. But then the male pharmacist also stepped to the counter, calling out to me ‘Can I help you?’ So, taking this as an invitation, I stepped into the store only for the female assistant to shout at me ‘Get back!’  There have also been incidents on public transport where deaf passenger companions have been confronted by others for lifting masks to enable lipreading. Restaurants too now seem weird. On Thursday, accompanied by friends, we went to a lovely country pub. Handwash gels and strict notices at doorways and in loos. Inevitable delays, mismatched orders and chaos in the kitchens. And, what are diners supposed to do - lift up masks at each mouthful? Further mayhem in supermarkets where, reportedly, when a masked customer asked a cashier ‘Where’s the honey?’, she put her hands up and gave him a bag of £50!

No comments: