12th July 2020

As we approach our 53rd wedding anniversary, as I look back on my own life I realise that most of the things that went disastrously wrong over the years were caused by a lack of communication within the family. In the wider world, each country continues to go their own way, distrusting each other when a bit of cooperation would help so much. Amidst all this mayhem, within days of each other, the US, China and the UAE each plan to send separate, 7-month voyages to investigate Mars and find out whether there is or ever was life there. All 3 trips will happen at the same time. Such madness. Why couldn’t they have merged their scientific quests into one voyage? Not only would this have saved millions economically but also would have shown the benefits of inter-nation cooperation. As a first step, I suggest a world flag for all extraterrestrial missions. Maybe then, here on Earth, such a flag could be the catalyst for greater global communication. At my age I’ve learned: it’s never too late!

No comments: