4th August 2019

“When Boris met Donald - an Englishwoman translates.” Is that catchy enough? I’ve been trying to come up with a book advert for Bookbub, the social media book site, but why does it have to be so complicated? All unintelligible acronyms and scary bid systems. All I wanted was to show how humour can lighten the load. Neither Theresa May nor Margaret Thatcher understood how to tell, or even understand, a joke. And then came Boris, waving a kipper in the air. Whether on a zipwire over London or on Have I got News for You, he’s a god’s-send for comic impressionists everywhere. And, across the pond, there’s another comic. Both have been shown to occasionally say crass things, but with Boris we know there’s a classical intelligence underneath that blonde thatch. It’s clear, then, that on the world’s frightening stage, two blonde showmen have appeared centre stage. That’s what I wanted to show in an Englishwoman in America. Hopefully I got the humour just right.

No comments: