12th April 2009

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but it seems that the article due to appear in The Sun has been delayed. Here's what Charles Rae, their finance journalist, had to say when I asked if he could confirm the exact date of publication: "no unfortunately I can't . It was due to appear on tuesday but the cashflow supplement has been put off until next month and I don't have a new date. I will try to let you know when I get another date, thanks, charlie". I'm not sure how the financial machinations of fine journalism work, but I'll confirm the date as soon as I know it myself.
In the meantime.....
In our village there is a tiny bibliotheque/tourist office, which serves as a local library as well as information point. I had borrowed a reference book before when I was researching Philippe Petain for my book 'Je ne regrette rien', but hadn't read any novels because they're all in French. However, I was pleased to be contacted last week to ask if I would be interested in volunteering one day a week to 'man the stall'. Now, this was a challenge I couldn't resist. It would test my level of French, the names of local residents, as well as my knowledge of the local area (the latter being rather sketchy). But, the tourist season is building up now it's already Easter weekend. I'll probably be O.K if the tourists are all English, and even if they're Dutch (because many speak English better than I do!), but the French?
Oh well. Must be mad. On verra....

No comments: