3rd September 2023

 Tomorrow, it will be 54 years since I gave birth to our beautiful daughter. The 60’s teenage revolution was still in full swing. The Times They Were A’Changing, including my life.  Elvis, The Rolling Stones and Marvin Gaye were in the charts, and there I was with a beautiful baby to nurture.  There was no Google to consult in those days, nor extensive family support to advise and guide me, just a local welfare clinic. Yet, over those crucial early years of motherhood, somehow I survived. At four years old, when she first came home from infants’ school with a tin containing words to learn, I helped and guided her, glorying with her as she successively over-achieved at every stage. At 10, a year early, she passed for the exclusive King Edwards High School, followed at 18 by acceptance to read languages at St Andrews University. Today she’s Vice President of a big insurance company on Park Avenue, New York, and was a recent finalist in New England’s Funniest Comedian contest. Still over-achieving. I am a very proud mother. Happy Birthday Julie.


No comments: