8th April 2019

It’s nearly two weeks since arriving in the US and I’m pausing for a moment of reflection.  Yesterday we were out walking. It was still cold but the sky was azure blue and the air here in Maine tinglingly fresh. Suddenly a passing car stops, the horn toots and a friendly hand waves out of the window.  I was momentarily puzzled. Who could possibly know me here, a million miles from home?  The driver shouted a cheery greeting. It was the waitress who’d served us breakfast that morning!  Yes, American customer service is still alive and well here. I see it everywhere. But don’t even think of discussing politics. Whereas the English are quite happy to run their own country down, Americans are very different.  My observations on the differences between us continue. As yet more snow starts to fall, I pull my collar up against the chill...

No comments: